No day of rest for many seniors on the first day of May

May 1st will probably be just another Sunday for most students. But for many high school seniors, the date represents the finish line for college commitments. 

Senior Mikayla Mahoney plans to attend Worcester State University in the fall of 2022 and will major in education. 

“I see more stress in my peers the closer it gets to May 1st, especially when they haven’t committed and multiple good schools want them,” said Mahoney.

Senior Stephanie Silva, who committed to the University of Massachusetts Boston, said she felt relieved when she completed the college application process. 

“After I got accepted, it was like a weight off my shoulders,” said Silva. “I ended up putting my deposit in sooner [than May 1st] for the feeling of guarantee for a spot at the school.” 

Upperclassmen said they have advice for younger students just beginning their college search. 

“When picking a college, I recommend looking over all aspects of your college options,” said senior Brighid Kirton. “Choose what you feel is the best fit for you,” said Kirton. 

Guidance counselor Lauren Freeman said she often assists students as they make their final decisions.

“I help students find which college best fits them using a pros and cons list,” said Freeman. “You should spend college where you’re going to be happy and if it’s not the right fit, it’s okay to find other choices.” 

Senior Emma Blomquist applied to 12 different colleges before committing to the University of Massachusetts Amherst. 

“It is important to not care about what other people think. Go to the school that is best for you and not what you think is most prestigious,” said Blomquist. 

Assistant Principal Michael Pratt said he talks to lots of students about their plans for the future. 

“When choosing a college, students should definitely tour and visit the college. There is something to be said about walking onto campus and getting a feeling,” said Pratt.

Peers can often alter the perspective of a college to a student’s eyes, which makes considering all factors of a university a necessity. 

“It is important to close out other people’s opinions of a school because at the end of the day it’s your college experience and you want to go where you are going to be happy,” said Freeman.  

Partnership program and health and wellness teacher, Asia Emerick said college discussions have become a daily conversation among her students. 

“To students, this [going to college] is a brand new concept and idea. Students feel as though this is a permanent decision and if they change their mind they feel as if they have failed,” said Emerick. 

Pratt agreed. 

“Students tend to feel like they are making a four-year commitment to a college, but forget they still have other choices,” said Pratt. 

According to some students, seniors should be focused on themselves, not others, as they make their decisions.

“It is important for students to remember it is your education. Not anyone else’s,” said Silva.