Cut courses cause concern

This year, the Regional no longer offers foods, fashion, and keyboarding classes. Once popular staples at the school, numerous factors led to the end of these courses.

“A lack of staff, and a lack of student subscription to the classes is ultimately what led to their demise,” said Principal William Beando. “The hope is to bring back the foods class at some point.”

Former teacher of foods, Chris Stark, said that he feels badly that the classes had to end.

“It’s unfortunate that we didn’t have enough teachers to continue these classes,” said Stark. “While I am an engineering teacher that was just filling in last year, I took a liking to the foods class while I taught it.”

Students in these classes enjoyed the topics and hands-on learning offered. 

“The kids who took the classes loved them,” said Stark. “It’s always sad when something like that ends.”

Junior Amanda Shaw said she enjoyed the foods class she took. 

“It was a great environment and was relaxed and fun,” said Shaw. “The class was good because we could include different cultures with the foods and students were able to share their culture through their food.”

Students may still have opportunities to engage with these subjects through after school clubs. 

“We plan on getting a new club rolling in semester two called ‘Bakerspace’,” said Stark. “It will be very similar to what the foods class was like but will take place after school.”

Senior Matthew Newell said that the foods class will be missed.

“Foods actually taught life skills that are important. Those types of classes can be important to have access to,” said Newell.

Shaw said that she believes the foods class should be continued to be offered at the Regional. 

“I think it should still be offered because the last two years when they offered it, it was difficult for students to take the class,” she said. “One year was a Covid year and last year most people didn’t know about it and missed the chance to take it.”

Junior Nathan Tindall said that he did not know that these classes no longer existed.

“It stinks that the classes are gone,” said Tindall. “Even though those classes were not all that useful to a number of students, that doesn’t mean they won’t be missed by those who cared about them.”