They Might Be Teachers: Scientific musicians take on D Hall

Every Friday afternoon students fill the hallway, marking the unofficial beginning of the weekend. Right outside of D113, a group of musically inclined educators wait for them.

Physics teachers Peter Cranson and Steven Sousa, along with Chemistry teacher Theodore Schubert, perform songs outside of their classrooms.

“I brought a guitar to Country vs. Country Club Day. I had a lot of fun playing, and wanted to send the kids off to have a good weekend,” said Schubert.

After Schubert’s unexpected solo, Cranson joined the team. 

“We don’t do any rehearsals together. It’s one of our rules,” said Cranson. “Individually, I rehearse percussion, and Mr. Sousa rehearses guitar when he plays it.”

Even though the members each have their individual talents, Schubert said the group does not restrict themselves with set roles.

“I usually play guitar, and in December I did jingle bells,” said Schubert. “The others do all sorts of things. We’re a little all over the place.” 

Cranson said Sousa became a part of the group after showing up and lending the two a hand. 

“We were doing Piano Man, and Sousa just showed up and started singing,” said Cranson. “That’s when we [Schubert and I] decided ‘okay, you’re in.’”

Sousa said that his participation in the performances helped him connect to his fellow science teachers.

“Mr. Schubert and I are new. Getting to know people outside of what you do for a living makes it easier to collaborate and ask questions,” said Sousa. 

The band said that their most dedicated fans include their fellow science teachers across the hallway.

“I usually watch them when I’m down across the hallway,” said Biology teacher Elizabeth McGovern. “Oh God, it’s so much fun. It’s a nice way to send everyone off at the end of the week.”

Assistant Principal Anthony DiBenedetto said students seem to enjoy the music.

“The students seem really happy about it [the music], and there were even students singing along on Friday [February 10th],” said DiBenedetto.

Sophomore Ethan Poch said he thinks the band has become an underground hit. 

“I think the music really goes unappreciated,”  said Poch. “They [the science teachers] do a really good job, and I think everyone should try to listen more.”

Poch said he feels the performances happen because of a shared opportunity and a love of music.

“I feel like the teachers do it because they genuinely want to and they feel they have the freedom to do it,” said Poch. “I think all teachers should have the freedom to engage students like that.”

Special Education teacher Sean Martin said he discovered the band completely by accident.

“I thought someone was playing a radio in a classroom,” said Martin. “I think that it [the music] is great for the school and everyone should be able to see the different side of their teachers.”

DiBenedetto said he wants the music to help the students see their teachers in a more relatable way.

“I hope that students can see their teachers as more than a head behind a desk,” said DiBenedetto.