The Regional expects a strong spring season

The Regional had a very successful winter sports season, and with warmer weather approaching the spring sports season has begun. The high school offers baseball, softball, lacrosse, outdoor track, boys’ volleyball, girls’ golf, and tennis.

On March 20, teams held tryouts for all athletes.

“The first day of tryouts was good, but it was not a traditional start. The players shoveled off the snow on the turf to be able to use the turf,” said boys varsity lacrosse coach and physical education teacher, Derek VanOudenhove. 

Even though the team had a non-traditional beginning with the turf, VanOudenhove said players felt prepared.

“I expect a good season.  Everyone is excited and I am ready to build a foundation upon last season, which was a learning curve,” said VanOudenhove.

Last year was VanOudenhove’s first year as the varsity coach. 

“I tried different methods of coaching to see what would best fit the team,” said VanOudenhove. I now feel more comfortable going into my second year of coaching.”

The baseball team has high expectations as well. Last year the boy’s baseball team did well, but senior Alex Toomey said he anticipates being even better this year. 

“This season should be great. Most of the senior class has been on varsity since sophomore year. There are a lot of experienced players on the team,” said Toomey.

The track this year welcomes its new assistant coach, Melissa Leslie, who specifically teaches pole vault.

“I am very excited about the new coach. I pole vault and hope to learn more techniques and overall improve my skills,” said junior Sydney Carlson.

Last year the school district replaced the track in mid-July.

“I haven’t been to a home meet. Last year we were not able to hold meets at our track because it was too dangerous. I can’t wait to finally compete on our own track,” said Carlson.

The boy’s volleyball coach and science teacher Peter Cranson has been coaching since 2011. Cranson said that he loves coaching and watching the athletes get better as the season continues. 

“It will be a solid year. We have a lot of talent and returning players to carry the program,” said Cranson.

The boy’s volleyball program has a goal of beating their rival this year.

“I would love to beat Algonquin this year. We have not won against them in a long time,” said Cranson. 

In the off-season, several teams held captain’s practices to prepare and meet teammates. The boy’s tennis team held captain’s practices twice a week.

“Going to the captain’s practices helped me a lot. We did a lot of conditioning and drills to have a strong start to the season,” said junior Nick Smith, a member of the tennis team.

Freshman Lily Mitchell tried out for the girl’s lacrosse team.

“The atmosphere on the team is great. It’s very positive and competitive,” said Mitchell. “The upperclassmen were very welcoming.”

Sophomore Emmy Johnson tried out for the varsity softball team. 

“Tryouts were good. It was intense and nerve wracking but I did well,” said Johnson.

With students concentrating on their sports, assistant principal Michael Pratt mentioned how athletics can help a student’s performance in school.

“Athletics and academics have a strong connection with one another. It provides you structure and time management skills,” said Pratt.

Senior and golf captain Josie Berry has been on the girl’s golf team for three years. 

“I joined because I wanted to try something new. It is a small team so you get to know the girls really well, said Berry. “There are some new girls on the team with experience. I think this season will be successful.”

To the freshman or students trying out a new sport this season, Pratt encourages them to act on opportunities given.

“With a school this size with a lot of athletic talent, be patient. Wait for your opportunity and make the most of it,” said Pratt. “Being supportive builds a team.”