The Student News Site of Wachusett Regional High School

Wachusett Echo

Wachusett Echo

Wachusett Echo

Dig Pink tradition continues on the court

Ariana Towns

While many students are associating pink with the new Barbie movie, the color took on a deeper significance at the 12th annual Dig Pink volleyball game. Decked out in pink gear, fans came to support Breast Cancer awareness and their school.

“The atmosphere is electric. The crowd is a sea of pink and it’s really an unbelievable sight to see,” said Physical Education teacher and varsity coach Jennifer Burton.

The team prepares for this event all month by making posters and banners, gathering decorations, customizing game day t-shirts, and planning their bake sale and raffles.

All funds raised support Breast Cancer awareness and all proceeds go to the Side-Out Foundation.

The whole team enjoys this game so much because the girls really believe in the cause. We love what it represents and we are proud to make a difference,” said Burton.

Senior Hannah Best agreed.

“It [Dig Pink] is a great way to come together for a cause that’s bigger than ourselves,” said Best. 

JV coach and Spanish teacher Michael Taylor said that the Dig Pink game has always had a significant impact on the school.

“Cancer is close to home for so many people and a lot of people are touched by this event,” said Taylor.

According to Burton, players support breast cancer foundations through donating their funds.

“The girls play for family members and friends who they have lost to cancer. The girls write names of their loved ones and the breast cancer ribbon on their legs. They look at this game as a way to give back,” said Burton.

One of the players, Sophomore Ariana Catalfamo, honors her Nana during the game.

“I write my Nana’s name on my leg and play for her,” said Catalfamo.

Senior and captain Chase Garabedian said this game holds great importance to the team to win. 

“We play our rival, Shrewsbury. We lost to them earlier in the season. We want redemption on our home court,” said Garabedian.

The girls have noticed a change in atmosphere during this event.

“This game really has an uplifting energy knowing that we’re all playing together and cheering for such a good cause,” said senior and captain Ella Laramee.

Several players said this game has brought them closer to each other.

“The event is really team oriented and comes with a lot of chemistry that brings us together on and off the court,” said junior Delaney McGee.

Dig Pink games have been occuring every year at Wachusett since 2012 and the players plan on keeping the fundraiser alive.

“Our goal as seniors has been to keep the younger girls excited to keep the tradition going,” said Laramee.

The team said they noticed an increase in fan support at the Dig Pink game.

“This game brings a larger fan section, which just shows how many people want to contribute to such an amazing cause,” said senior and captain Claire Michalowski. 

All those involved said that this event will hopefully become a game they will always remember. 

“It becomes a really memorable night because so many friends and family come out to support the team and fundraiser,” said Garabedian.

Best agreed.

“This game lures in the biggest crowd compared to all our other games. The Badlands show up with so much school spirit wearing all pink,” said Best.

Taylor said that the event is not just a volleyball game, but a special night.

“The most memorable part of this game is when you pause and think about the people affected by this and when you get past the decorations and think of the deeper meaning,” said Taylor.