The Student News Site of Wachusett Regional High School

Wachusett Echo

Wachusett Echo

Wachusett Echo

Stunning season for girls basketball

O’Connors Photography

The girls varsity basketball team made their first finals appearance ever finishing the season 24-1. Although they loss, the team continues to be prideful of their accomplishments this season.
Senior and co-captain of the girls basketball team, Liz Cain, said that she and her teammates remained determined throughout their season.
“We focused our motivation on the state championship. That was our goal from the start of the year,” said Cain. “We had that mindset going into every game so we would be closer to our goal.”
Senior and fellow co-captain Rileigh Leary agreed.
“We knew what we were capable of and that helped motivate us,” said Leary.
Math teacher Nathan Lenhart said that he attended several of the girls games towards the end of the year, including the last game in Lowell.
“The final game had a great turnout,” said Lenhart. “So many teachers and students and even a lot of random people were there. It was awesome to see the support for the girls.”
According to Lenhart’s observations, the varsity team played on a high level this year.
“The girls have such a good feel for the game,” said Lenhart. “You can see their high basketball IQ and how they play at a smart pace.”
Assistant principal Josue Delgado said that if not for a couple of unfortunate missed baskets in the championship game, there could have been a different outcome.
“It was tough to see them lose, but they put up a good fight and just had a couple shots that barely missed the basket,” said Delgado.
Junior Matt Bjorkman said that he has attended almost all of the girls home games this year.
“The girls were buzzing, and the fan section was very loud and exciting,” said Bjorkman. “Even though I don’t really know basketball, I still found enjoyment in the games.”
Senior Lucas Gamache said he loved going to the girls games because they always won.
“It feels pretty cool to be a fan of a winning organization like this,” said Gamache.
According to the players, the team chemistry helped the team’s success especially this year.
“I’ve been playing with all the girls since fourth grade,” said Cain. “We have created a sisterhood that has transferred onto the court.”
Leary agreed with Cain.
“I was excited to go to practice every day because all my favorite people were there,” said Leary. “We all helped motivate each other and kept good vibes all season. The whole team was a family including the coaching staff and that is one of the biggest reasons for our success.”
As seven seniors leave for college next year, the team will have to start thinking about the upcoming season.
“Losing seven seniors definitely can take a toll on the team,” said Leary. “I believe that the underclassmen are very strong and they have the ability to take over as leaders.”
Cain agreed that the younger players on the team have the ability to step up and take over.
“I believe that our team will continue to work hard and be successful despite losing us seven seniors,” said Cain.
Delgado hopes that the team will continue to succeed in the upcoming years.
“The coach has always done a really good job,” said Delgado, “So I believe they will be right back in it.”