The Student News Site of Wachusett Regional High School

Wachusett Echo

Wachusett Echo

Wachusett Echo

Partnership Program offers hands-on majors for students

Valeria Chancay

The Wachusett Partnership Program allows students to have a chance to explore potential future careers. But not all students have the same experiences.

According to Principal Michael Pratt, the program is only scratching the surface of what it can bring to students.

“The WPP provides an opportunity to see what they want to do when high school ends, having a more open mindset for their careers they would like to take,” said Pratt.  “The program has tremendous potential to grow, as it is already a solid program.”

The engineering department will be changing next year. New classes for the students are being developed

“The department is receiving money for new equipment and supplies, allowing us to create new classes for the students in the following year,” said Department Head Greg Chandonnet.

The Wachusett Partnership Program allows students to explore their opportunities and interests within elective courses they can take. Joining the program can create a better resume for college applications as well as gaining experience.

“The program shows colleges that you can start and finish something,” said Pratt. 

Senior Austin Fiske joined Automotive Technology trade junior year. 

“The partnership program allowed me to understand more about what I would like to pursue in the future. Automotive has been my favorite class,” said Fiske. 

Last January, Dan Baker replaced departing teacher Ken Baer.

“Even with a new teacher coming into the school, it was still an enjoyable class. The curriculum stayed the same. It was just a different speaker,” said Fiske.

As the new teachers arrive in the school, others also leave. Chris Stark, an engineering teacher, left the school this year. 

“Finding the ideal candidate for the job will not be an easy task. The requirements of this job is a long list,” said Chandonnet. 

The school hopes to hire a teacher by the second semester so that classes can run again.

“Having a teacher with welding, woodshop, printing, makerspace, architect, and project experience, is like finding a unicorn,” said Chandonnet. 

There have been a variety of experiences with the program. Some students had never been told enough information for them to apply for the program.  

“The program was never explained thoroughly for me. I never knew the purpose of it until a year later. I was never in the program, but I still got all the engineering electives I wanted,” said Nick St. Cyr. 

Without the program St. Cyr still got all the electives he would have applied for if he joined the Partnership Program. 

The freshman and sophomores are not presented with the information about these opportunities within the school until the spring. The school will give a presentation to them explaining the program, and giving them the decision to apply or not. 

“The program has not been introduced to me yet, but I know I would want to join Automotive if I learn more about the class,” said Liam Macomber.

The partnership program offers programming in the following majors: automotive technology, business & finance, business and marketing, computer science, criminal justice, early childhood education, engineering technology, fashion and textiles, graphics communication, and health sciences.