The Student News Site of Wachusett Regional High School

Wachusett Echo

Wachusett Echo

Wachusett Echo

Students underutilizing Media Center miss out on valuable resources

Merolla Dakkash

Libraries, commonly known for having free books available any time. However the Wachusett Media Center should be recognized for much more. The space provides a community for students and staff to interact and gives Mountaineers access to information and resources.
“Never in all four years have I checked out a book at the library, I just never needed to,” said senior Ben Lefferts.
Other than being physically brought down to the Media Center, Lefferts said he doesn’t go there on his own.
Sophomore Katlyn Perna said she has a similar experience with the Media Center.
“I’ve never checked out a book for my own personal use. But my English teacher brought our class last year and had us check out independent reading books to read for class,” said Perna.
Junior Emily Hazen said she has never borrowed a book from the library.
“I do wish I used the Media Center more. I hate spending money on books. I honestly just never think to check out books there for school,” said Hazen.
Many students said they see the Media Center as a place to print their schoolwork.
“I’ve printed out a lot of papers there. It’s so easy to go in quickly before an assignment is due,” said Perna.
Junior Ethan Case said he visits the Media Center several times a semester, although only to get a charged Chromebook.
“I’ve been to the Media Center with Mr. Hartshorn’s English class. But other than that I only go there on my own to get a charged chromebook when mine is dead,” said Case.
English Teacher Kimberly Reeser said she spends a lot of time in the Media Center during school hours.
“I’m probably in the Media Center with a class at least twenty times a semester. From a teacher’s standpoint it gives them more room to collaborate. It’s definitely a more comfortable environment for students to work in. The engagement that I can create with my class is great while we are in the Media Center. It gives them a break from the desks and the classroom,” said Reeser.
Freshman Ariana Roche said she loves the atmosphere of the Media Center.
“I have only ever spent time there between the end of school and my volleyball practice. Me and my team have gone to do homework before practice and I loved how relaxing it was there. I would like to be able to spend more time there,” said Roche.
Teacher Librarian, Alana Stern said she assesses the Media Center’s usage through data they keep on circulation, student sign ins the media center, and conversations she has with “regulars”.
“I have a lot of students I would consider regulars who know what the library has to offer and come in pretty often,” said Stern. “But many students don’t have the knowledge about how to best use this space.”
*Insert information about generational knowledge*
Stern said that she spends a lot of time working on the database everyday, for this reason most research is found through the libraries online resource instead of physical books.
“The database has all the authority that a book does. It has a ton of really accurate information. Students don’t realize that the database is an extension of the library,” said Stern.
Students who prefer to use the Media Center’s space and books use the area often. Those who don’t are actually utilizing the library and the librarians’ hard work every time they use the database.
English department head Lynn Leschke said understands how there may be a lack of physical Media Center exposure.
“There was a time where my students would head down to the Media Center often to find research. But with the Chromebooks they all have now they just do it here in class,” said Leschke.
Leschke said that without the Media Centers computer lab, there’s less of a need to spend time there.
“I do want to expose my students to the Media Center just so that they can get a feel for a library and maybe even decide to use the libraries in their own towns,” said Leschke.
Staff agree that libraries hold importance in students’ academic lives.
Although The Media Center may lack physical use in some aspects, the space may still be made use of in other ways.
The comfortable space can be recognized by students and shared upon by teachers.
“The space is a good change of scenery, students can collaborate with peers and I love being able to help students when they ask me questions,” said Stern.