The Student News Site of Wachusett Regional High School

Wachusett Echo

Wachusett Echo

Wachusett Echo

Club focuses on simply supporting sisters

Merolla Dakkash

The Supporting Sisters Club is run by two seniors with a vision. Seniors Ellie Daly and Grace Lannon speak upon the idea and inspiration behind the Supporting Sisters Club.
“I’ve always been passionate about feminism. At first I would joke with my friends about creating a club that supports girls, but soon enough things fell into place,” said Daly. “I wanted it to be a place where girls could be themselves without feeling judged or feel they need to be different.”
Lannon said the Club aims to be active.
“We do little projects around the school, and are starting to work with the Battered Women’s Shelter,” said Lannon. “We are working a fundraiser for girls who need a prom dress.”
Early October, the Supporting Sisters club wanted to start off little by little by writing positive messages on the window in the Cafe. They plan to host fun activities for the girls to participate in.
Members of the club have mentioned their compassion for the Club.
“It’s a beautiful club. I feel very supported,” said senior Nicole Sutherland. “It’s a place where you can feel comfortable to talk with anyone without feeling judged.”
Sophomore Julia Clark agreed.
“I like how it brings the girls together,” said Clark. “It definitely helps girls who really need support.”
Lannon mentions the dates and how it can be a conflict for girls who work or do sports to get to them.
“Our meeting dates are very spontaneous, sometimes they are on Monday’s but we try aiming for Thursday every other week,” said Lannon. “When sports are over it’ll be easier for people to get to.”
Department Head Lynn Leschke shows her love for the club.
“It’s a fantastic idea. I would be happy to support it in any way I can,” said Leschke. “I love how it helps the community and it’s a way to bond.”
You can get more information about the club on Google Classroom (ktx32ry), and Instagram (wachu_supporting_sisters). Their meetings are on Thursdays.
The Supporting Sisters club encourages everyone to join in on the activities.
“This isn’t just a club,” said Lannon. “It’s a community, a family, and everyone’s included.”