The Student News Site of Wachusett Regional High School

Wachusett Echo

Wachusett Echo

Wachusett Echo

Canes ruffles feathers at student choice over Chick-fil-A

Carlos Chancay

Most students go to the Regional frequent neighboring restaurants, such as Chick-Fil-A or Chipotle, for a bite to eat. But, in recent months, students have visited a new establishment ‒ Raising Canes in Marlborough, MA.
“I like that their menu is all chicken. It is what makes it unique compared to other restaurants,” said junior Rahma Giwa.
Assistant Principal Josue Delgado said that the restaurant’s menu already gave Canes a great advantage in the food industry.
“I feel like chicken tenders already have a baseline of being good,” said Delgado. “The quality can only go up from there.”
The menu features five different combos of chicken baskets ranging from $7.49 to $19.39 with each serving having a different number of tenders, excluding the one chicken sandwich.
“The food is really good and I don’t think it’s too pricey,” said freshman Jake Binienda.
Sophomore Sydney Marshall said she would like to visit Raising Canes more often.
“There is not an option on Doordash to order Canes online,” said Marshall. “But if they did have it, I would definitely get it.”
Despite several positive reviews, other students said they feel hesitant to revisit the fast food chain after their first experiences.
“My little sister got a kids meal that was ten dollars and only had three pieces of chicken in it,” said Giwa. “I feel like the prices should have been less, especially since it’s fast food.”
Senior Comparetto agreed that the establishment could face some improvements.
“I think they should make better chicken if that’s the only thing they are going to sell,” said Comparetto.
Comparetto has doubts about the drive to Raising Canes being worth it.
“I think the food is overrated,” said Comparetto. “I wouldn’t visit Canes again because of the distance, especially if I was the one driving.”
Math teacher Kathleen Toomey said that Raising Canes does not have many gluten free options on the menu.
“If Canes had gluten free options I would visit it,” said Toomey. “Especially when fast food places like Chick-Fil-A have gluten free food, I would rather go there than Canes.”
Some students seem to find a middleground on their opinion of the establishment.
“The sauce is good and the chicken and bread is perfect,” said senior Hailey Trudeau. “It definitely has too much hype, but it’s still good.”