AnneMarie Donahue

AnneMarie+Donahue

AnneMarie Donahue is a longtime English teacher at Wachusett Regional High School. She teaches Freshman English, Dystopian Literature, and Gothic and Detective Literature. Here are some questions to get to know her better and maybe help students to know her better as well.

How long have you been a teacher at WRHS?

“I’ve been a teacher at WRHS for 7 or 8 years. Definitely a number over 5.”

Who or what inspired you to become a teacher?

“A college professor named Ben Raitlton and my 9th grade English teacher, Mrs Deluca, inspired me to be a teacher.”

What is your favorite part about teaching?

“My favorite part of teaching is working with students one on one and really getting to know them as people more than learners. While reading is important I think it’s more valuable that these people are allowed to express their confusion about how and what we learn. And I love to work with my freshmen most of all… no offense seniors.”

Have there been any important lessons that you have learned during your career?

“I learned to slow down while teaching. I talk like a machine gun so that’s a big problem, especially when I was lucky enough to have two foreign language speakers in my classroom. It was wonderful and I was delighted to learn more about Spanish, but I realized quickly that just because I speak English at the speed of light does not mean others hear it at that rate.”

What do you think is an important thing for all teachers to keep in mind?

“Students are human beings and have lives outside of classrooms.”

What do you think makes a good teacher?

“To love what you are doing – not just books and writing – but also liking young people and being able to wake up everyday loving your job makes a good teacher. It’s also important to have a sense of humor and maybe some tarot cards too… or five.”

In what ways did the pandemic affect you?

“The pandemic taught me so much more about teaching and being a good person, listener, and teacher. I learned to slow down, laugh with my kids, cry with my kids, and honor their time and their emotions so much more than I had. I also learned to honor myself and my own emotional boundaries. I learned to allow all of us space to feel safe, valued, and needed.”

What are your hobbies?

“I go figure skating and can do jumps and tricks. I also read tarot cards and paint. I actually wrote a murder mystery book about a figure skater who finds her coach dead and needs to find who did it.”