The Student News Site of Wachusett Regional High School

Wachusett Echo

Wachusett Echo

Wachusett Echo

Spider-Man snubbed at Gaming Awards

Sammy Lane

In December 2023, gaming enthusiasts voted in the Game Awards, a big ceremony for video games. Of many of the games released this year, one standout snub is the superhero open world adventure, Spider-Man 2.
“I haven’t played it yet, but I plan to buy it,” said senior Evahn Niquette.
Developed by Insomniac games, Spider-Man 2 earned nominations for seven categories but did not win one award.
“I think it is a little outrageous that Spider-Man 2 won nothing,” said Technology Associate Patrick Murray.
Spider-Man 2 lost the biggest award ‘game of the year’ to Baldur’s Gate 3.
In the weeks following the event, influencers and players took to social media to bash each other’s fan bases.
“People on social media are definitely pushing this farther than it has to,” said Murray. “Yes, I was one of the people who wanted Spidey to win, but from what I’ve heard about Baldur’s Gate, I can see why it won.”
Fans of Baldur’s Gate believe their game deserved its title as Game of the Year over Spider-Man for many reasons. The most common argument points out that after finishing the main story, the player has nothing else to do except swing.
“There’s more to appreciate [in Spider-Man 2] than the story,” said senior Ryan Tracey “There’s the small details in the game that make you say ‘wow they put that in?’ “
Meanwhile fans of Spider-Man 2 dislike Baldur’s Gate because of its genre
“I didn’t even know what this game was until the award was announced,” said senior Jacob Liimatainen. “From what it looks like I don’t think I would enjoy it.”